Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Pollock's Toy Shop

If I only knew then what I know now. I did a quick search for a few pics of Pollock's Toy Store (until my pics arrive home via the hub) and found that there is another Pollock's store and museum in London that I didn't even know about! (That's just not right.) I have only visited the TINY one in Covent Garden--which alone is more than enough. I can't even imagine a larger one! Oh my, I'm hyperventilating just thinking about it.

I visit Benjamin Pollock's Toy Shop each time I am in London. It is one of my all-time favorite spots. The store is tiny, in an attic space of one of the old buildings there in the main area of Convent Garden. You climb this very narrow, windy staircase to the top floor where you find a couple (two to be exact) rooms chock full of paper theatres and such. There are also a few traditional toys along the wall (probably three feet in length) in bins. Other than that, there are paper doll books, paper theatres, paper pull toys, etc. Of course, I love it here. If there are more than four people in the place, it is hard to move. That's how tiny it is--which only adds to the charm.

The hub has now arrived and downloaded all my pics onto my computer. Finally! It brings all the excitement back. How much fun did we have? So much fun!!!

This is an absolute horrible way to blog. I have so many pictures that I want to share, but what a pain to upload them here. I am just going to list them with a little explanation. (But you must enlarge them if you can!)

A couple of their walls:

Collages:

Close ups of some of the cigar-boxes. (Great idea!!):

These are just a few of the paper theatres:

Love this idea of hanging paper doll clothes on a line!!

Tomorrow, I will share with you the items I brought back from this great shop!! I'm heading to bed. (These pictures gave me quite a run to download! SCREAM!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I would have loved that shop! I just loved paper dolls when I was little. They were so delicate and some so beautiful. My imagination was very big and I would play for hours at a time with these toys of paper. Those were the days.

Take care,
Connie

Mark McLellan said...

Rosa

In which case you might want to visit the Horniman Museum next trip: http://www.horniman.ac.uk/.

Unfortunately the V&A Museum of Childhood is closed until the autumn (US: fall). http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/.

MarkMcL

PS. Don't let on how I blew the "reserved English" stereotype! <g>

paris parfait said...

Charming post and great pictures! Thanks for sharing; I'll be in London next month and will make a beeline for that place!

weirdbunny said...

oh they look great.

Trishymouse said...

You are very fortunate to get to visit those places I can only dream of. Thanks for sharing!

Trish
http://pennyplain.blogspot.com
http://pollocks.trishymouse.net

Annie Jeffries said...

Wow, Rosa, your box is fabulous and the story that inspired it is amazing. What a great way to recycle cards that I just can't seem to get rid of.

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa