Saturday, May 06, 2006

Centennial Park TACA Show--Nashville

Spring--2006

It was the perfect day for a crafts show--not too hot, not too cold and NOT raining! I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow, just like last weekend. Last Saturday was a beautiful day to hit the Franklin Fair but Sunday was a wash. I'm glad we got TACA in today. It was a lot of fun and very inspiring, to say the least.

Centennial Park's backdrop is an exact replica of the Parthenon. It was built in 1897 as part of Nashville's centennial exposition. By then, Nashville had already been pegged as being the Athens of the South. It is fascinating to read about it. I would never think of Nashville as an Athens, but I do see their point way back then.

Anyhoo, there was a lot to see. I always have my "ritual" of going around all the booths once and soaking them all in before making my second round. The hub and I did this first round and then sat down for a fair-type lunch (polish sausage with onions and peppers and a lemonade) under the beautiful old trees.

Take a look at this. (No, I mean, click on the pic and really take a look at this!) It is stunning! This was the first booth we came to. I can't tell you how many people were commenting on this "Tortoise & the Hare" rocking horse. Isn't it to die-for, drop-dead beautiful? Oh, if I were rich and had a baby and a nursery.....well, you know. I just had to go up to it and run my fingers across the different textures. It is scrumptious. Sorry, I didn't get the artist's name. Bad, bad me.

This was my favorite booth of the day. R. Michael Wimmer definitely didn't exhibit last year--I would have remembered his things. What a thrill to look at his remarkable work. These reminded me of Ulla's beautiful spring window display at Castle in the Air which included several of her "clocks." I would love to have one of these sitting on a shelf all by itself or even in a corner somewhere. (One of these could stand on its own as a "Friday's Favorite Corner!") What a conversation piece. He had other types of work including this piece which was intriguing. What a wonderful idea to use a broken china doll's head as a focal point! (Sorry about the glare--grrrr!)

This artist has been at the shows since I've been going. Every year, I say I'm going to break down and get one of her sculptures, but I have yet to do so. Her little people are so whimsical and gay, I'm dying to put one in my garden. The little girl flying on the dragonfly is a little different from her traditional frolicking souls. Of course, it was my favorite piece by her this year. (Again, no name.)


I believe this was a newby because I had never seen anything quite like this before. For some reason, I was more drawn to the ceramics and concrete sculptures this year. Funny how our tastes change from year to year. Aren't these fun, though? I adore the horseshoe nails in the baby shoes! This booth was busy so I didn't have a chance to step in and talk to the artist. But, wow. What a great idea. Now you see, this woman is smart. She put her card under each piece. No way I can miss her name and info! Good woman, Kem!!

Ludie Amos of Clarksville was sculpting her dolls in the demonstration tent. I would love to go back tomorrow and see the finished product. Just look at the expressions on these amazing faces. What detail and handiwork. Love them.

I'm going to stop here for the night. Tomorrow, I'll share with you the things I brought home with me. What a tease I am, I know.

2 comments:

paris parfait said...

Oh, Rosa! Such fabulous photos and info. Thanks so much for posting this. I look forward to seeing what came home w/ you (you tease you)!

Lena said...

It's such a happy surprise when I actually get to visit here Rosa! Oh my goodness, what lovely and original things! I love Michael Wimmer's work. Very whimisical this show, wish I could have seen it too! Can't wait to see what you bought.

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa