Wednesday, May 10, 2006

London Calling

Well, tonight I made a very quick decision to follow the hub to London next week. Not only that, but I made the decision to take the kid with us! (It didn't help matters when he began to cry and say "Don't go mom--without me!" How can a mother say no to a face like that?)

So we went on Orbitz and just did it. Out of the blue, in a matter of 15 minutes, we had airline tickets to London. Man, I'm getting bad in my old age.

It all started this morning when the hub called and told me about a trip forming to London and perhaps Geneva. (Geneva later got dropped--boo hiss.) You know me, I'm always ready to go to Europe. He never has to ask if I want to go, he knows the answer to that question without even thinking. I told him we'd talk about it when he got home and didn't give another thought. Well, as soon as he walked in the door, he brought it up. We went online to get an idea of air fare and found a fantastic deal. The kid walked in at that precise moment and asked what we're doing. As soon as I mentioned that we were going to London, the tears began to well up in his eyes. Oh my gosh. The heartstrings....the heartstrings being tugged-ouch. We thought for a moment, "Hmmm, he only has two weeks left of school, could it be that bad in taking him out for four days? You know, they've already finished all their testing and probably aren't doing a whole lot." We tried to contact his teachers, not one to be found. So a very quick decision was made. The kid was going too. We thought about the teenager going--for about a second. hehe....just kidding. He has exams so he can't go. He doesn't even want to go! Can you imagine not wanting to go to London? Gee whiz.

So it's him and mom to fend for themselves for five days. They've done it before. What an experience that was. The last time we went to London (and yes, we took the kid), the teenager stayed home with my mom. She had only been living with us for about two months when the trip came up. Poor mom was a little unsettled then and got totally depressed when I left. Poor teenager had to take care of her--literally take care of her--while we were gone. He was so worried about her because she wouldn't eat and wouldn't get out of bed. I couldn't believe it. She had never been like that before! Thank goodness, as soon as I got home, she was fine. To this day, I feel so bad about it; but I truly had no idea that she would miss me so much. Thank God she's much more independent now. She has her own place, her own dog, everything she could want. She's fine on her own when we go to New York and such, so I feel better about leaving those two this time. I worry more about the teenager being home without us than her. ha. Thank goodness he now works on the weekends! No time to get into trouble! (Yea, right.)

And so, we're off to London next week. I can hardly believe it. Sigh. So much to do!!! Now, I need to ask if anyone out there has ideas on a good hotel to stay in that won't cost a fortune. Wow. With the exchange rate, it's hard to find a good hotel under $300 a night! OUCH. So, please, any ideas??

Oh. I do hate when I make rash decisions like this. Now I'm second guessing myself--which I shouldn't, I know. The teenager is laughing at me and my anxiety attack. He assures me that everything will be fine. It does make me feel better, him telling me that. (He is probably already planning the party.)

Note to self: Frankie vets

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip to London, Rosa. Incidentally, Ben might be in London in June on work. He he he ... I might tag along too. :-)

Lena said...

Oh my goodness Rosa...you do have a bit of lovely news to share! I wish I knew of a hotel to suit you but I've never been to London. Lucky you, I hope you have a wonderful time!

Mark McLellan said...

http://www.phrplc.com/

Have used them myself a while ago before I moved in to london. Recommended them last year to a friend and they got her a good deal.

http://www.citadines.com/serviced_apartments.htm
Mary spent a year in the Barbican Citadines which says something! Not luxury but like renting your apartment.

We will of course meet up for a meal one evening :-)

Miss Robyn said...

oh you lucky, lucky duck. Whenever we want travel to Europe, the Uk or USA it is one MAJOR trip. have fun!

Mark McLellan said...

All depends what you mean by "good" of course. For example the Drury Lane Travelodge (next door to my office) is offering rooms at GBP 85 (USD 160). No bar or restaurant but with Covent Garden on your doorstep with numerous pubs, restaurants and coffee shops why would you need them?

I do not know how they compare the the US Travelodge but Mary and I have used them on a number of occasions in the UK very happily. Cheap and cheerful as we say.

But try PHR plc first is my suggestion.

What days are you here?

paris parfait said...

Oh, Rosa how wonderful - a spur of the moment trip! Kensington Rooms in South Kensington has decent rooms for about £85 per night. It has the advantage of being within walking distance of the Victoria & Albert Museum and the Natural History Museum, as well as Harrod's. Close to Gloucester Road tube station. Send e-mail to the manager Ann Bushnell (ann@kensingtonrooms.co.uk) and she'll make arrangements for you. Find details online - Kensington Rooms Hotel London (address is 131-137 Cromwell Road). Let me know if you need anything else.

Peggy said...

do you have an extra big suitcase you want to stash me in? have fun and take lots of photos!!

John Ivey said...

Send me a postcard!

Mark McLellan said...

Rosa

Believe it or not, I do not check my home email every day so do not know if your email has arrived. And I cannot access webmail from work (company firewall, boo!). Suggest you foward a copy to my work email: mark.mclellan @ bt.com

Regards

MarkMcL

Rosa said...

Thanks everyone! I am knee deep trying to figure out where to stay. Like choosing a hotel in NYC.....such a range!

Linda said...

Gonna make it to Paris?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's so great! It's only a pity that you could not make it to Geneva...

Have lots of fun and enjoy yourselves!

I'll be looking forwards to reading your future posts about London!

Rosa said...

Again, many thinks for everyone's help! No Paris, no Geneva..I know, pitty. But, hey, I'm going to London, and I am very happy!!

mrspao said...

Hi Rosa, I don't know if you've booked anywhere yet but Travelodge group have family rooms (for up to four people) for reasonable prices. I've stayed at the one in Covent Garden and it is very clean and near to places. Also, the Novotel group are also very good. Hope this gets to you in time!

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa