Friday, August 11, 2006

Friday's Favorite Corner


I've been really bad at posting these lately. I just remembered today was Friday--and here it is 10:15 p.m.


This is my side door entrance by the garage. This is where we come and go. I don't know how it turned into my primitive corner. You know the drill, one piece leads to another and then the next thing you know, you have a theme going. And when I say theme, I say that very lightly. Nothing I do truly matches. It's just me as I feel in that moment. You can tell some of these seasonal items stay out all year round (from the dust) -- which doesn't bother me.


I had a friend in Virginia that made game boards out of old pieces of wood. Her entire (gynormous) house was done in primitive decor. From the first floor up to the third, yep, three full floors of primitive in every form. She should have had it put in Country Living magazine, but I don't think she ever did. She was so extremely talented. We just kind of lost touch with each other for one reason or another. I think that's how the primitive corner came about. It all probably started with her game boards and grew from there. I found this old shelf here in Nashville. I love it. On top is a book that she made for me as a Diary. I have not used it, yet, but I'm sure one day I'll put something in it. We had a bunko (which I call funco!) game once a month in the neighborhood and each gal wrote a little something in it and gave it to me before I moved. Sniffle sniffle. Then there are odd medicinal bottles I have found here and there sitting in front.


There's a feather tree with carrots and baskets hanging off it from Easter and a couple of small pillows made from old woolens with Christmas trees on them and a few other miscellaneous holiday treasures up there. Who cares?

The children's bench was picked up in Bucks County Pennsylvania where we would spend a week or so each summer with the family. We would all congregate, each Ukie sibling of the hub and their family, all in one big wonderful house that the inlaws would rent out. What special memories. (They then bought a house in Upstate NY--grrrr--and it's just not the same, see my first post.) Oh well, anyway, Fairhope had a wonderful furniture store where I bought our table and chairs and the stools in the kitchen. One year, they were having a "yard sale" and I saw this little bench and fell in love with it. And so there it sits. I found the little mini-quilt last year somewhere and thought this the perfect spot for it. Ya think?


One cold winter, a couple of months after the teenager was born, I started making these cute little cardboard houses. This was one of my favs. It's a little cottage with a chicken coop on the side. On the bottom, I wrote the date, the weather and dedicated it to the then-newborn teenager. It has quite a bit of wear and tear but I still like it. The chickens have lost a lot of their forms and the smoke is missing from the chimney. Probably ready for a little sprucing up!

Oh yea, and that's the new alarm system--lovely huh. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

9 comments:

SnowWhite said...

Sorry not been in for a while but have been so busy lately it's not funny, nice to catch up though
take care for now

Peggy said...

I just love "visiting" your home! You have it decorated just perfectly... now lets set down and have a cup of our blooming tea... its sooooo good!

Miss Robyn said...

my home is alot like that eclectic me, I call it. I love visiting your home too,it's fun!

weirdbunny said...

It looks like your home should be in country living not just your friends. Talking about christmas decorations we still had some paper chains up in the lounge from christmas until about a month ago!!!!!!

That little house is just the best!!!!

weirdbunny said...

It looks like your home should be in country living not just your friends. Talking about christmas decorations we still had some paper chains up in the lounge from christmas until about a month ago!!!!!!

That little house is just the best!!!!

Annie Jeffries said...

It's so much fun taking little virtual tours through each others' homes. I should try this sometime. I especially like your little cardboard house.

Lena said...

I have a weakness for primitive, folk art looking things. I think it goes back to having been raised in a family that made quilts, canned and gardened ect. I really like your little quilted wallhangings. Especially the red schoolhouse one. I have a "fake" feather tree that decorate just for myself at Christmas. We have a big traditional tree with family ornaments ect. Then I decorate that one with vintage or vintage looking things, more in the German Christmas way. Cotton batting ornaments ect.
Your little house is wonderful! Will you ever make more? How about a haunted one for Halloween?

TJ said...

I used to have a friend in Ky that was part of a bunco group...always sounded like fun but I lived in the country and could not get in for the game...the prizes sounded great!
:-D

paris parfait said...

I love your corner and how all the things there blend so wonderfully. That's the joy of putting a house together - adding all the little extra touches that you find and are given at various times. Thanks for sharing!

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa