Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Finally!

If you'll remember last year, we had at least three bird nests going at any particular time, from February until August. And, of course, along with the nests we had Miss Bev, the huntress, watching each step along the way and sometimes going in for the kill. This year, we had no Miss Bev and no nests, pout. Boom or bust, always the way.

Today, I went out the side door to water my window box and just before opening the door, I saw Mr. and Mrs. M. Dove nesting in my geranium basket! Awwww. (Sorry, pictures are taken through the back window AND screen door!) Momma looked as though she were laying her eggs already! A little while later, I peeked out and the love birds were gone; so I spied on the nest and it looks as if they are only in the first stages. Guess it's time to start worrying over my new family. Time to keep the babies (cats) indoors. The nest is awfully close to the porch railing. Eeeeek.

It's beginning to feel like spring again. All the old dead growth from the first spring that died from the late deep freeze is beginning to come back. It's refreshing to see the pretty green rather than all that dead dark brown. I was afraid a lot of it really was dead, but now I see most is ok. Even my azaleas are blooming! Squeeeel!

16 comments:

Carole Burant said...

It always amazes me where birds will build their nests! lol How awesome is that, doves nesting in your geranium basket! Great shots you got of the mama and papa by the way!! Hopefully you'll soon see some eggs and then babies:-) xox

Lori said...

I love your picture, so very nice.

Lori

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

How sweet! We have a lot of doves and hear them early mornings but since we are void of all but our dead orange tree I can't see where any nests are. Keep those cats from the new family!
XOXO

Lena said...

This is so funny...I was just thinking about your last years' bird's nests a couple of days ago and wondering if you had them again this year.
What fun to see more today! I sometimes have finches visit and they build nests in precarious places...they like vines and hanging baskets, which can make it pretty difficult to water sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Good Luck with your new little family. Keep us posted.

Take care,
Connie

Dianne said...

We had doves nesting when we lived across the street from you. They look like they are wearing eye make up, don't they. So sweet.

Henny Penny said...

I'll squeal along with you! This is so exciting! The Mr. & Mrs. are simply beautiful!

I so miss my kitty. Sigh. He never bothered a bird. They would swoop down and get pieces of his cat food, and he wouldn't bat an eyelash. Moles? Now that's another story...

Susie said...

I loved see the doves! We had them build a nest in a hanging basket right outside our door one time. I'll have to see if I can find a picture. Vincent never bothers the birds. He's a big scaredy cat!!
xo

Vallen said...

Come over and look at my post - there are bird nests everywhere!!

Beth said...

OH I Love them Rosie!!! I wish my bluebirds had come back and had some more babies in my birdhouse. I do have a pic of a cute hummer that I took today on my blog. I worry about my cat too. Miss ya girlie,,only 6 more days,,YAY!!!

Tammy said...

Mother Nature in the form of birds and ground hogs are conspiring to keep me from doing any more container gardening...humff...

Darla said...

Doves around here build the flimsiest nests in the strangest places, I wonder that they can raise a new generation at all.

I love to hear them as the sun is just coming up in the morning.

Darla

Anonymous said...

Je découvre ton blog et je trouve tes photos très originales.
Je ne maitrise pas l'anglais... Forze capisci l'italiano ?
Je reviendrai quand même te rendre visite.
Paola

paris parfait said...

Ah, that's so sweet! Thanks for sharing the story and the photos.

weirdbunny said...

look at those birds in the geraniums !!!! What a place to make a nest .... - love Julia x

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, how cute! I love doves. You are very lucky...

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa