Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sunday Snippets on Wednesday

Again, late with my (Financial Times) Sunday Snippets. The weekend before last there was nothing. Nothing in House & Home, nothing in Arts & Weekend, not even anything in "How to Spend It." But this weekend--aha! Tennessee!

There's a wonderful article written by Ann Patchett about non other than our little Nashville. I was amazed to see it, right there in the Financial Times. Rules of Undergrowth is all about growing up in Nashville and how the beautiful landscapes outside the city have continued to flourish. I'm always amazed myself. I can drive a couple of blocks away and climb a mountain (not literally, mind you) with such awe-inspiring views. I have shared many photos with you which always get some ooohs and aws. I guess we actually are on the map. (Photo above from FT article.)

Then there was the blurb on the upcoming PBS series "Spain . . . On the Road Again" with Mario Batali and Gwyneth Paltrow. The FT's No Ordinary Road Trip gives some insight on the odd couple's food adventures in Spain. I think I may have seen something about this elsewhere and thought "Huh?" But, after reading the article and looking at a few clips of them frolicking about Spain, I can see why the two click. Looking at Gwyneth, and knowing a little about her past "diets," at first I thought "What in the world is she doing running around with Batali?" the major food machine he is. But somehow it works. They are both fun loving and tease each other like brother and sister. The show begins here tomorrow night. I can't wait to see it.

And what does this article about Gwyneth and Mario have to do with Tennessee? Well, you know Mario's bright orange clogs, right? (Actually, now he is pushing crocs.) He had to first buy these here in TN. Of course, he would fit right in at a UT football game. So, all I have to say is go Big Orange!

11 comments:

Janet said...

Beautiful photos around Nashville. It just makes me even more anxious to move to your corner of the world. Guess I'll start looking for some orange shoes so I'll fit in!!

Beth said...

YEah,,,thats what I say!!! Go Big ORANGE!!! And also go Kerry Collins and Tennessee Titans!!! We are 3 and 0!!!
xoxoxooxoxoxoxox

Dianne said...

Lovely shoes--not!

I thought they were a strange couple too but who knew?

Ah...beautiful Nashville...

Carole Burant said...

I would so love to visit Nashville one day....from what I've seen in pictures, the scenery is just breathtaking. My mom says her favourite part of the drive to Florida every winter was going through Tennessee. They'd always leave at the end of October and she said the mountains were brilliant with the Fall foliage.

I know who Gwyneth Paltrow is but have never heard of Mario Batali. Quite the...ummmm...orange crocs! lol xoxo

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That must be a great programm! I'd love to see it! I read an article in Food And Wine about it, I think...

Cheers,

Rosa

Linda said...

I wish I could see that program. It looks really interesting. Those orange shoes may be ugly but, my, are they comfortable. I have a white pair that I wear around the house.

The Vintage Kitten said...

They are abit luminous! It looks lovely where you live too X

Jeanie said...

We're starting that show in November and I can't wait to see it! I've never worn those shoes but I love the goofy colors! (And Mario is very cool!)

Vallen said...

Doesn't she eat macrobiotically? Can't quite fit that into tapas culture but, whatev.
Those photos at the top? I thought the second one was an oil paiting. It is gorgeous.

Shelley said...

Yay! PBS..the best television on television...but then I'm a bit biased. LOL Love the pretty photos.

Judy said...

Strange couple is right. Beautiful fall pictures.

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa