Thursday, June 24, 2010

Dublin, Cuid Dhá

Continuing on in Dublin, I have so much to share. What a wonderful city. What wonderful folks. Each time I go to Europe, I find a new favorite city. Dublin was it. Such a wonderful, bustling city.

With much quaintness mixed in.

City Center, the Spire of Dublin in the background.

Two policemen on horseback.

Of course we found a wonderful sweet shop, Queen of Tarts. We went to the smaller of the two locales.

Who could resist such a brilliant name?

It was so wonderfully charming, we went two days in a row. (It was actually closed the first day I dragged the kids through the rain to find it.)

Breakfast.

And the next day, lunch.

With a piece of Victorian Sponge Cake to share for dessert.

Then off across the street to see Dublin Castle.

A side entrance.

The upper yard.

The Chapel Royal.


The Record Tower, c. 1228, next to the Chapel Royal.

I couldn't get enough photos of this chapel door.

Then on to tour atop a double-decker. The River Liffey.

Molly Malone . Fishmonger by day, lady-of-the-evening by night.

More beautiful architecture.

And the Guinness brewery in the distance.

Áras an Uachtaráin, The president's house. Looks very similar to the White House, doesn't it?

My new "favorite" shop (of which there are many, mind you), Avoca.

I'm thinking Laura Ashley, Cath Kidston.

With lots of wonderful woollies! (I bought a small throw for the girls' room I'm working on.)

The cuz's favorite shop--young, chic clothing of course.

Later that night . . .

We were off to MJ O'Neill's for a traditional Irish carvery. I had spied the "MJ" and took lots of photos for my SIL Mary Jane. Who knew we would end up there for dinner?

Sort of like a cafeteria but so much more.

See? Oooooooooooof. Turkey and Limerick ham with mash.

Before we knew it, it was time to head off to Brussels. But not before having to purchase another satchel to hold my carry-ons. My old one I purchased in Paris several years ago (for the same reason) was beginning to tear, in the handles. Not good. So I replaced it with a FATFACE mailbag in duty free. Oh, that and a bottle of Jo Malone. Yummy.

So smart, having a second back entrance to a plane. Duh. Ya think we could do that in America to load quicker? Hmmm. Notta chance.

Erin go bragh!

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Thanks for sharing! A great town.

Cheers,

Rosa

Jeanie said...

Off to Queen of Tarts in my mind! First stop, I think. Someday!

Carole Burant said...

Queen of Tarts...love it!! Omigosh that dessert looks scrumptious. Dublin does indeed look like a fascinating place and one I would so love to visit for myself. Be still my heart...castles are one of my favourite things!!! Loved seeing the inside and outside of Dublin Castle, simply amazing. And more delicious food....next time I'm gonna pack myself in your suitcase so I can go with you:-) xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Rosa: I am revisiting Dublin (in my mind's eye) right along with you...Avoca, yes, yes, (and I found the store "Sasha" with every single garment labelled 'Sasha' - which made me a shopping hero! And did you try all the pubs? The Temple Bar was directly across the cobblestone lane from the art studio where Nik was teaching. Nice.
Safe travels, my friend. I am watching every single photo! xoxo the fan

ChrisJ said...

For all your lovely photographs, my mind fixated on the cream tea for breakfast1 That could be breakfast lunch and dinner for me!

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa