Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Stormy Day, Beautiful Sunset

We had rain all day in Middle Tennessee yesterday with lots of wind. We even lost a shingle or two off the roof last night! The hub will be glad to hear about that! I've been wanting to change the roof since we bought the place, lol.

I lallygagged all morning after having my scone with clotted cream and pear butter. Then I ran my errands, in the rain. Went to Costco and got some stuff for the freezer and then started on Amy's birthday "page." You'd think I could have done it the day before and set it up for first thing yesterday morning so she could enjoy it before the end of her day, but that's never how I think. It's always "Oh dear, let's get going on this before the birthday is over." I'll always be a step or two behind, but that's ok. It's me.



After deciding I wanted to use some of my old photos of Amy from our childhood for the "page," I went up to my old negative file and of course, there were no photos, only proof sheets and negatives, of her. Then I remembered, my new printer actually prints from slides and negatives!! OMG. How cool is that? You can only imagine how many slides and negatives I have. Endless amounts, I tell you. This is going to be lots of fun. The photos I used yesterday of Amy was a sitting she did for me when I first started photography class and my assignment was natural and incandescent lighting. The exposures weren't that great since I was just learning, but it was so much fun going back and looking through them--bad exposure or not. She is just too pretty. Always will be. There are even some shots of my mom! How fun.

The night before last, I made BBQ chicken on the stove. It turned out good. It was the first time in a long time (other than Sunday Supper) that the teenager was home for dinner. It was nice having the four of us at the table again. Mom has been going to bed by 3 p.m. (no lie) so she's never up for dinner. I guess she gets up about midnite. As I told a friend the other day, as long as it doesn't bother her, there's no harm done. It's not like she has to get up and go to work or anything, right? Bless her.

BBQ Chicken
  • Boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 T oil
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1 C ketchup
  • 3 T molasses
  • 3 T cider vinegar
  • 2 T Dijon mustard
  • 2 T Worcestershire
  • 2 T maple syrup
  • 1 t chili powder
  • salt and pepper
1. Add oil to skillet and heat.
2. Salt and pepper chicken.
3. Brown both sides of the chicken and then remove, a couple of minutes on each side.
4. Add onion with a pinch of salt and cook about 5 minutes.
5. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and pour over onions. Mix well.
6. Add chicken back into the skillet, cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes.

You can also add some hot sauce or peppers to the mixture if you like your BBQ sauce spicy. I put in some cayenne pepper, but I think it would have been better without it. Everyone else liked it though.

I got a message from my brother that he will be going home soon! I am so happy for him. I bet he is ready to get out of that hospital bed and home to his cats. That was such wonderful news. Jim phoned this morning and said he was on his way to visit him at the hospital and I'm waiting to hear back from him. Yay!!

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Three cheers for Brother John! I'm very happy for you both. By the way, I'm longing to step into your world of scones, clotted cream and pear butter -- sounds yummy as are all the photos in this post! The chicken sounds great too. Well, it's almost quitting time and I AM hungry!

Janet said...

Even though I just ate my dinner, I'm now hungry again! You do it to me every time!! That pear butter looks delicious! And the chicken, too. My hubby would love that.

Such good news about your brother. Now we just have to keep him in our thoughts and keep him well.

Linda said...

That chicken dish looks fabulous. I wish I had all of the ingredients so I could make it myself. I haven't seen molasses or maple syrup lately here in Paris. I know it's available, just not where I shop.

John Ivey said...

When are you going to show us some photos you scanned from your negatives? I'm really looking forward to seeing one of Amy. Bad exposure or not.

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa