Thursday, January 24, 2008

Post DC

I finally got the pictures off the "travel" laptop (it's so old, that's the only time any one uses it). I don't even know where to begin, so I suppose I'll start at the beginning, kinda. The above shot is of the tidal basin and the Jefferson Memorial. In the foreground are the lovely Cherry Blossom trees that are absolutely gorgeous in the spring. It's funny when you live there and drive by them every day, you kind of take them for granted which is a sin because they truly are breathtaking. It's strange going back "home" as a tourist.

My brother Jim made sure that we left the hospital long enough to have a good lunch each day. On Sunday, we went to one of his favorite restaurants in Falls Church, not too far from the hospital. Since we don't have dim sum in Nashville, this is a must when I'm in DC. Sunday is their big day where they serve it "all" and we had to wait a little while before we were seated. We took advantage of the time and played with my camera, which Jim immediately fell in love with. He's the one who bought me my first Sony Cybershot.

"I'll take a pig stomach, cold knuckle and duck tongue to go, please. And throw in one of those duck heads for good measure." Mmmmmm mmmmmm good.






I loved the stills he captured behind the "carry-out" window. (I wonder what this man was saying to him. This one belongs in a book, I love it!) There were suckling pigs being carried out to cars (which I missed because I couldn't whip my camera out fast enough) and the older variety hanging in the back. You'll have to squint to to see it hanging back there, lovely.

And then it was time for some eating for ourselves!

The ladies come around the tables with carts full of goodies. You point to what you like and they put it on your table and then mark your tab. We probably shared about five or six plates. It was kind of dark so most of my pictures at the table are too blurry to share. But you get the idea.






Here are three different skies from my brother's ICU room, Arlington, Virginia. Still playing with the camera while Johnny slept.

A little flurry action going on here.

And just before I left for home, pretty blue skies. Johnny was coming around at this point. Alleluia!

4 comments:

Lena said...

Your brother keeps flitting through my mind these days. I'm very glad that he is continuing to improve.
Two of my dearest friends live near D.C. I will have to send them over to read this post, as they enjoy exploring food, restaurants and cooking.

Beth said...

Yummmy,,,those pigs looked piglicious,,lol. I Love your new camera too. What great pics it makes. I want to see the Cherry blossoms in Washington DC one day.
Glad Johnny keeps improving. Stay warm girly!!!
xoxoxoxoxoxooxox

Vallen said...

Love Chinese restaurants like that - dim sum is the way to go, especially for a carboholic like me. You get so many tastes and flavors. You'll need to bring Brother Jim when you come here to visit - we have a few good places to eat.

Shelley said...

The cheese caught my eye. OMG. Love it.

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa