Sunday, January 07, 2007

Happy Ukrainian Christmas!


Just back from NY where we all (the hub's side of the family) gathered for Ukrainian Christmas (or Little Christmas, as the hub's Italian mother calls it). We left Lake Louise on Thursday and flew into NYC. The teenager met up with us there and then we made our way further upstate to the hub's parent's house.


Ukrainian Christmas falls on January 7th and it's another big feast up there. Although more time and effort is spent on Ukrainian Easter, Christmas is just as special. Over the years, as we've moved further south (and the inlaws further north), it has become harder to make it up to celebrate every occasion. For the past two years, though, the boys have had the week after Christmas off which makes it possible to enjoy Ukie Christmas with everyone.


We all (four out of the five siblings with spouses and kids--14 of us) gather at Grammy and grandpa's house (the hub's parents) who live in the Catskill Mountains of NY, about two hours outside NYC. Their house is by a beautiful lake; which this year was completely thawed. There was no snow and it was actually in the 70s(ƒ) yesterday! Amazing. It's normally in the teens or colder this time of year! Look at how green.



Grammy and grandpa hide "little" gifts for all the kids; and each one has to find theirs hidden in the downstairs. Here's Uncle G holding up one of the boys in order to reach a goody and one of the girls on the "hunt!" They always have such a fun time, and it's over lickety split! The kid received some "power"balloonss that you blow up and let loose so they fly around the room with quite an obscene noise--good for boys, not so good for dogs.




Here's my SIL's doggies, Ruby and ZuZu. Ruby has made Miss November in a special pit bull calendar this year. Even Rachel Ray suggested it for a Christmas gift (all proceeds go to the shelter) on her Christmas special. These two are the sweetest dogs you will ever meet.


And, of course, what would one of my posts be without food? You wonder why I'm so fat??? Look at all this wonderful Ukrainian food! Now you know why!

Grandpa's kitchen, in all its glory.


Ann's famous Salad, the only part that's healthy!

Holubtsi (stuffed cabbage)

Kyshka (links stuffed with pork and kasha or rice)


Kovbasa (smoked and fresh sausage)

Pyrohy (dumplings stuffed with potatoes and cheese)

Shinka (pork roast stuffed with fresh garlic cloves)

Rugelach and Bow Ties (or Angel Wings)


Goodbye to NY, once again.

It's always a treat seeing everyone; and I forget how much I miss being with them. Although it's hard saying goodbye to them, it's always good to get home. Home, sweet home. Awwwwww.


Merry Christmas everyone!



11 comments:

Susie said...

I think I could gain five pounds just by looking at pictures of that yummy food!
Wow!
Welcome back home, you've been gone a lot lately!!
hugs!!

Linda said...

Looks like you had a great Christmas. Nice to see how it is done differently in different cultures, even if they are in the States

Mark McLellan said...

Rosa
So you get two Christmasses, eh? That's a neat trick.
Happy New Year :-)

MarkMcL (aka Mr English)
PS The pictures aren't displaying for me - it may be this work PC.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Happy Christmas, then!!!

All that food looks great. I'm sure you all enjoyed yourselves...

Brian G Ross said...

All of a sudden I'm very hungry!

Hope you had/are havin' a great Ukranian Christmas as well...

:o)

Anonymous said...

That food looks so delicious! Sounds like a lovely holiday.

Janet said...

After just looking at all that food I'm off to do an extra few miles on the treadmill!
Two Christmas celebrations! That's fantastic. I'm sure all the kids love that.
Glad to have you back home.

Beth said...

Oh, Rosie,,did you have to post all of those pics of that delicious food? Yummy ,,my tummy is growling now! It sure looked like you had a blast! But I am glad your home!

Carole Burant said...

Welcome back Rosa!!! Sure, I don't come visit for a couple of days and you sneak back home! hehe Blogger is finally going to let me comment...I think! How lovely that you were able to go to your in-laws to spend the Ukrainian Christmas with them...and look at all that food!! It all looks so yummy...my husband is Polish so I know all about that type of food:-) Hugs xox

Heather said...

What a feast! Happy belated Orthodox Christmas!!

Granny said...

I think I just found a new blog to read.

All that yummy food.

I've been reading back through your family history. You have quite a story.

And there's my friend Pea in the comments. She can tell you I'm harmless.

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa