Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Good Life

Memorial Day was a nice, lazy day. For the first time ever, I actually took a nap in the hammock!

Bella was right there with me and I have to admit to hoping to throw a bunch more in before we head home. Sigh.

The day started out with a thunder storm.

Then opened to blue skies.

The hub and I headed back out to Bon Secour to get our shrimpers for our annual Memorial Day Holiday grillin'. We did it up this year! (PS, if you're in the area and want the freshest seafood, go to Aquila's rather than Billy's--the better-known merchant down the river. Billy's get their shrimp from Aquila's and then raises the prices to sell!! Word up.)

Not only did we get our usual royal reds,

but we added some rock shrimp, which I had never even heard of!

We had enough shrimp to feed an army by this time, so we skipped the big daddys.

On our way back, we stopped off at Tin Top grocers and got some sandwiches for lunch. Muffuletta? Oh yes! The kid and I shared a half one. As good as New Orleans' Central Market if not more betta. Per-fect. (Guess what we're having for lunch today? Uh huh, leftover Muffuletta!)

Then came the nap and then it was time to get those shrimps cookin'.

I always boil mine in beer with the spices (bag ripped open, of course).

And since I was brought up on the Chesapeake Bay, I always have to add Old Bay. Always--just because, you know.

Oh yes.

Rib eyes on the grill.

The rock shrimp were very very good. You just have to fight a little more with the shell, as it is rock hard.

And they are a little smaller than the RR. But just as good. Different but very good indeed.

To say the least, our feast left us all fat and happy.

xo
ro

3 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That's what I call LIFE! I'd love to eat those shrimps and rib eyes!

Cheers,

Rosa

Robin said...

All your stories about the River House remind me so much of the years my parents had a home on the Chesapeak Bay.....those shrimps were yummy looking! and the hammock....heaven...all little memories in my mind of easy three day weekends on the Chesapeak! Lucky Lucky You...ENJOY

Queenly Things said...

Could you pass a napkin, please.

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa