Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Proof is in the Pudding


I was telling Bud, of Bud's Ramblings (and my fellow-Tennessean blogger), just last week that I knew spring was around the corner when we get a huge flock of robins--I mean hundreds if not thousands. It's right out of the movie "The Birds." Now I've seen huge amounts of black birds in the yard before, but I had never witnessed this amount of robins until moving to the Nashville area. Last year was the first time I had seen such a sight.

Well, folks of Middle Tennessee and areas close, I am happy to announce that "Spring is almost here!!" I noticed a few robins yesterday in the yard and wondered if this could be the beginning of their migration North. This morning when I woke up to get the kids off to school, I looked out the side door, and low and behold, there they were--a hundred or so. They stay for a day or two and eat all the berries off all the hollies in the neighborhood, and then they're off. We have five holly trees right on the side of our house, so I can witness this amazing "grazing" up close. It is fascinating to see so many in one place at the same time. There's a constant flutter in and out of the trees. I tried to capture this on film, but I couldn't get close enough without scaring them all away. I did, however, take these two before-and-after shots to prove my point. Shows you how much I knew. I always thought that robins only ate worms.

Left pic (I know a bit blurry--sorry, way too early) 6:30 a.m. Right pic 2 p.m. You'll have to click on them to enlarge to really see the difference.


Here's a website on tracking the migration of the American Robin that I'm trying to enter my sighting info into. Haven't had much luck yet getting logged in. Oh well, guess I'm going to sit back on this rainy day and just enjoy the flight of the robins.

1 comment:

Rosa said...

I think blue birds are the most gorgeous color blue. If you could bottle that blue........

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa