Friday, February 10, 2006

Chocolate Chip Cookies ala Rosa

I used to love coming home from school and smelling something good cooking in the oven. Today, I thought I would treat the boys to the aroma of my chocolate chip cookies baking. These are the teenager's all-time favorites and I haven't made them in a couple of months. Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right? The teenager, plus one and the kid made it home before the cookies were put in the oven. They were treated to some nice hot tea while they waited for the cookies, so they were still happy. As they say "it's all good."

I had bought this wonderful afternoon tea at Fortnum & Mason when I was in London last. It is the most delicious tea I have ever had. It's good enough by itself; but add a little sugar and cream, and oohlala. You'll be in heaven. I had bought the teenager this single tea pot for Christmas since he is an avid green tea drinker ever since his trip to China. I think I use it more than him, the truth be known. You put in the loose tea, add boiling water, let it steep and then place it over your cup. It drains into your cup leaving the leaves in the pot. It's nice and easy to use and clean up. It comes in pretty colors but, of course, it had to be black for the teenager. I used the last of my afternoon tea; so I will be taking my tin to the local tea merchant to mix some new, as best we can, to get that same flavor. Or, I'll just have to fly to London to grab some more tins, whatchya think?

As far as my recipe goes, it's basically the recipe off the bag of Nestle's semi-sweet morsels for their Toll House Cookies. I've changed and added a few things over the years that make them mmmmm mmmmmm good. Of course, I use my brother Jim's homemade vanilla and the fresh pecans he brought down at Thanksgiving that I've had in the freezer. (If I know him, he orders them fresh from Georgia, just like my mom, and shells them himself.) I make my cookies big because the guys like them that way. But, I always make a good dozen a wee bit smaller so I can send a plate next door to our friends--don't want them to think we're "pigs." They enjoy them as much as we do.

Rosa's Chocolate Chip Cookies

  • 2 1/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 t baking soda
  • 1 t salt
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
  • 3/4 C granulated sugar
  • 3/4 C packed brown sugar (I use some of both dark and light)
  • 2 t vanilla extract
  • 2 extra large eggs
  • 1 1/3 C old fashioned oats, or more if you like them "oaty"
  • 4 handfulls of halfed pecans, cracked (or less if you like)
  • 2 C semi-sweet chocolate morsels


Preheat oven to 360 degrees. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, sugars and vanilla in large mixer until creamy--about 3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in oats, pecans (I crack the halves again before I throw them in) and chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons (and I do mean tablespoons) onto ungreased baking sheet. (We like less oats, more pecans and more chocolate chips. You can, of course, adjust to your liking.)


Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on how you like them--crispy or soft.

I hope you try them and enjoy them. I think ours are already almost gone! Yum!

No comments:

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa