Monday, October 08, 2007

This, That and the Other

I'm in that heart's-a-racing mode this week, busy as a bee. Friday, we are heading down to Riverside. Of course, I have been waiting until this week to begin getting my stuff together for the trip. The kids have Friday through Wednesday off, so we're heading out. Well, the teenager is staying here with mom, holding down the fort in our absence; but we're leaving Thursday or Friday for 'bama. The hub flies in from China on Sunday. Yay. Then, the boys head back up and leave me down there with Miss Bella, the travel cat.

I have my three oldest and dearest friends coming down the following Friday for a Girls' Weekend! I am so excited, I can hardly contain myself. I guess I've known Amy the longest. We met in fifth grade, I think. She then dated my middle brother for years; so she's almost like a sister to me. She was at my house more than hers, most definitely. And then there's Kelly and Pam. We all met our first year of junior high school, 7th grade. Pam was the cheerleader and Kelly was just the funnest friend ever. Kelly and I lived right down the street from one another and became the bestest and closest friends ever. Of course things changed when I met the hub-to-be, unfortunately. We all kind of moved on to whatever was going on in our lives; Pammy got married and moved to Massachusetts, Amy got married and moved to Baltimore and Kelly got married and stayed in Arlington. It was then my time to more, all the way to TN. We've stayed in touch over the years but the visits have gotten further and further apart. The last several trips to DC were so jam packed with mom stuff, that I didn't have time to see Kell or Aim. The last time all four of us were together was the night before Pam moved to Massachusetts and we hit the town and painted it red! Oy. That was over 20 years ago! So, to say the least, I cannot wait to see everyone together. I am gathering things to make the weekend fun. (I should have started this last week!)

I spoke with my kitchen peeps this morning and asked about the Mrs. She is out of the hospital but they found that her cancer is spreading. It just breaks my heart when I hear that. I wasn't aware that she had cancer, but once I heard she had gone into the hospital for coughing blood, I kind of suspected. The "dad" told me she was doing well though. Since I don't have a kitchen, duh, I ran to my favorite bakery and got them a quiche (best quiche around) and an apple crumb cake. Times like this is when I really miss my kitchen--not being able to bake something nice for folks. I didn't know if she would be at the office or not, but I had to make a payment (ka-ching) today anyway so I just drove on over. She was. Looking quite tired; but I admire her for being up and working. I'm sure it helps everyone there in more ways than one. I don't know that I would be that strong in her circumstances. I met their daughter (who was working in the office today) and granddaughter. It truly is a family-run biz which makes me feel good about hiring them. While I was there, I was informed that my counter tops go in on Wednesday! Gee, why am I always the last to know!! Lordy. So, that's good that I will be here for that. I can't wait! I'm hoping once they're in, then it will be boom boom boom, get'er done. Hoping is the operative word there. Maybe by the time I get back from Riverside? (I didn't tell them I'm leaving--don't want them to think they have the week off too. grin.)

I have ATCs to mail, swaps to finish and some of it may just be coming on a road trip with me if I don't get my act together. I'm also trying to think of what I need down there in case it's cool, wishful thinking. We're throwing our portable fire pit in the back of the car, just in case. I've been washing extra throws to take and I need to find some firewood. Maybe it would be best to wait until I get there for that. Don't think there will be any fire wood around these parts being in the 90s still. Pffffft.

Dave has been under the weather and I took him into the vets on Saturday. He had a fever so the vet put him on antibiotics. I got the pill down him on Sunday, with a struggle mind you. Today, he would having nothing to do with it. He is all muscle, that cat; and he was pretty belligerent about the entire situation. I have never had a cat that put up such a fight as he. Kinda scary. And so, I broke the pill up into fourths and put it in his food. He was already on to me by then. He wouldn't have a thing to do with it. I finally dumped the pill so he would eat. And so, I went and got the liquid form today. You think he was any less crazy while I tried to squirt it in his mouth? Nope. I think a daily trip to the vets will be in order. Like I have nothing else going on. I did, however, move to the new vets that just opened on our side of the woods so is closer to the house. The doc is so sweet and I think I'm going to like it there. I told them there would soon be an animal train coming through to get all their shots up to date. When I tried to have Dave's records moved over, they tell me I haven't had him in since December of 2004! Could that possibly be? I guess I have other things I've been taking care of and neglecting the poor babies. Time for a B12 shot for me!!

Speaking of which, I'm getting mom's meds ready so the teenager can give them to her once a day while I'm gone. This is how I've been keeping it straight for the past year. I picked up this CASE of dixie cups at Costco years ago. Do you think we could ever use them up? I found they are perfect for mom's meds, kinda hospital like, don'tchya think? She used to be able to take them herself when I put them in a daily reminder. She got to the point she couldn't remember. I then started putting them in a cup and putting it on the table for when she came up in the morning. She began to forget that. Now, I just take them down to her and give her each one before she goes to bed. This way, I know she's getting them all. She only has three meds, the rest are vitamins and such. I'm sure it's a pain for her. But, it's kept her healthy so far. Between hers, mine and ours, I'm amazed I don't have a pharmacy practice in place. ha. I wish. I would then be able to start demolition on another part of the house. KIDDING!! :-P

By the way, I finally finished the above needlework. To put the size of the piece into perspective, it is for a pin cushion. All of 3x3 inches, perhaps 4 inches, I'd imagine. And yes, it took over a year to finish this tiny little thing. (This is a little kit that I picked up at Liberty of London way back when. Yes, oh observant ones, I have another one to start on. When I get back. giggle.

Alright then, I'm off to finish this that and the other.


Peggy said...

Have a fun time at Riverside! Enjoy your friends and take lots of pictures. Thanks for taking part in the card swap.

Linda said...

You are one busy lady. Enjoy your time at Riverside and get some relaxation in.

Mrs. Staggs said...

Whew! You've made me feel a bit dizzy with this post!
I hope Dave will feel better soon.
Good thoughts to the family who is dealing with cancer. It's hard, and my heart goes out to them.
I hope you all enjoy a lovely time at Riverside. I spent time with two of my friends this weekend, and kept thinking how lucky I am to have had them in my life for so long.
Take care.

Motherkitty said...

Congratulations. You have been awarded the You Make Me Smile award because you make me smile.

You can retrieve your sidebar button here.

Anonymous said...

HEY!!! Have fun at Riverside!

Love, THE CUZ!!!! <3 xoxo



©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa