Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mi Casa es Tu Casa

We have a dear old friend in from Mexico City for the weekend and I decided to jump on the bandwagon and make some salsa and guacamole for him. First time for both.

The recipe for the salsa came out of the America's Test Kitchen Country cookbook. A little heavy on the onion for me. I think next time I will use sweet onion instead of the red. It's the "One Minute Salsa" which uses canned tomatoes and canned jalapenos which was A-OK with me since I, again, waited until the last minute to do it. Of course.

I found a bottle of "Guacamole Starter" at Williams Sonoma--which is where the idea of making that hit me.

They also had this fancy schmancy avocado slicer which I had to buy. Probably will never use it again.

I couldn't get a whole lot of flavor out of it, so I kept adding more lime and jalapenos.

It's ok. Nothing to write home about. I'll have to get a better recipe from Val who I'm sure knows her stuff.

I'll add the recipe for the salsa when I get a little more time. I snuck out for a bit to post. Shhhh.

8 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hope you enjoy the visit with your friend. I don't think I'd ever have the nerve to try to cook anything Mexican myself. I'd order out and then serve it at home!!! ha...

I used to live in Texas and miss the Tex/Mex food from there so much. None of the Mexican Restaurants near here serve the Tex/Mex... Oh Well!!

Have a great weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Snap said...

Enjoy your visit! I used to put garlic salt in my quacomole when I made it with plenty of lime juice. I haven't made any in ages. Buying it at the local grocery seems so much easier! I'm lazy!

Linda said...

I use garlic salt in my guacamole too-the kind by McCormick. I also put in diced tomatoes and as much taco sauce (from a jar) that it needs to give it a good flavor. Everyone seems to love it.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Ohhh, wonderful! I love this kind of food!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I love homemade salsa! Warning: once you get a taste for homemade salsa, you will never be able to eat the storebought kind! lol.

Now i'm feeling an urge to go to the grocery store for some fresh ingredients to make some salsa! Ahh the power of pictures :)

Shelley said...

I actually could read what you said..because I'm taking Spanish this semester! yay

Avocados are not on my list of things I like--which is probably good because I'm terribly allergic to them. I'm sure your company appreciated your taste of home.

Queenly Things said...

The trouble is not you my friend, it's the avocados. Right now they are flavorless. Good guack is all about the avocados. I had the exact same problem last week when I made some for the b-day girl.
Now the cake? I'm going to have to get back to you on that.

Jeanie said...

Great idea about the salsa. I've got all those cookbooks -- gotta check 'em out. And the guac. Two of my favorites!

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa