Monday, October 23, 2006

A Cold Night's Dinner

Finally. The weather is cool enough to get me in the mood to start cooking again. I'm making stew tonight in the crockpot. The stew meat looked really good at the grocer's and so the decision was made. I had planned on making a bean soup; but as I arrived at the Honey Baked Ham shop to pick up a frozen ham bone (the best!), a bone hog had arrived just before me and bought the last four. Now why do you need four ham bones? You would have thought he would have offered one to me. But noooooooooooo. So, stew it is. Which is fine. The hub will be glad to see that I finally made it to the store to stock up. It was like old Mother Hubbard's place -- the cupboards were bare.

Some sad news in blogland my friends. Our friend Annie, from Scenes from a Slow Moving Train, lost her mother this weekend. I can't imagine the pain she is going through. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time. Sniffle sniffle.

7 comments:

Susie said...

Your stew looks yummy, but it's 85ยบ here! Grilling for us tonight!
I'm going over to express my sympathies to Annie...

savvycityfarmer said...

I went right over to Annie...my Mom's birthday tribute just posted on my blog...the pain she feels is felt by all of us...death ispart of life...

Farmgirl Cyn said...

That photo could have been taken by me last evening! The crockpot is one of my favorit kitchen servants! I use it a couple times a week, summer or winter. One of my fave cookbooks for the crockpot is "Fix it and forget it lightly". Basically a lower fat cookbook, which doesn"t hurt my family!

Miss Robyn said...

ooh that stew looks like something I need! wholesome home cooking!
I will go over and give Annnie a hug. thankyou for letting me know xo

Shelley said...

That looks simply delicious. I love stew and soup in the fall and winter. Yum.

TJ said...

I love stew myself even though Hubby is not so hot on it...yours looks great!! Sorry to hear about your friend...(((hugs)))

Annie Jeffries said...

Dear Rosa,

I am SO grateful for this sweet tribute you have posted for my mom. I am amazed and feel so blessed and sustained by so many who have stopped by to visit. With people like you and so many who have stopped by, I am truly strengthed for this dawning of day three.

Warm thoughts and blessings to you,
Annie

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa