Saturday, October 03, 2009

San Diego Co. Mountains and More

Ooof, I've been knocked off my butt for several days now. Lordy me. I had my flu shot and a pneumonia shot on Wednesday and I've been sick ever since! What the &%$#%???? I was feeling a little better yesterday until I was at mom's doing things I probably shouldn't be doing. Came home and slept from 3-11 p.m. Hmmmm. I slept until 12 today and finally just got up, took a hot shower, ate some Excedrin and am sitting down to a cup of coffee. I have to admit, I am feeling a little better. Geesh. Anyhoo, I need to catch up on my Cali trip! Above are the cookies I bought at Julian's Pies. Oh, they are to die for. (The Hotel California cup was bought in LA around 1981 during a trip out there. It's one of my favorite cups ever.)

Ok, now that that's out of the way, back to California! My BIL drove the kid and I up through the mountains. The kid had never been to the West coast so this was all new to him.

Our mission was hitting Julian and getting some apple pie. We had run out of time for picking apples in the orchards. (Note the moon!)

What a sweet town. We were able to watch apples being pressed for cider. The smell was wonderful, as you can well imagine.

The "famous" shop is Mom's. But I was told under very good authority that Julian's pies were better. Of course, I had to try both.

I purchased three apple turnovers which I have kept in the fridge until today. I'll let you know how they compare with slices of Julian's Dutch apple pie. :-P

Now, Julian's Pie company was just precious. I loved everything about it.

I got cookies (above) and two slices of the Dutch apple pie. Of course, I bought them for the hub and kid. Did they eat them? Nope. I ate one slice one night and the other the next night. And yes, it was the absolute best apple pie I have ever had. Hands' down YUM!

The little bakery is located in a small house on the edge of town. If you go to Julian, DO NOT miss it!

I think the locals are on to something here. ha. We didn't have a whole lot of time here either. It was a true whirlwind trip, I tell ya. There were schedules to keep with a little five year old in tow.

We were then under strict instructions to hit Dudley's Bakery on the way home and pick up some fresh bread for the house.

It's a good thing I wasn't staying. I would have bought several loaves. Oh my. You know my weakness is bread. It took everything in my diet strength to walk out of there (that and the apple goodies I was holding in the car--wink wink).

The landscape here is absolutely beautiful. The kid was in awe.

And so was I.

We headed back west to home enjoying the mountain scape. So beautiful.

I loved the entrance into the town of Ramona. The entire area reminds me of cowboy and Indians. I could envision the battles going on way back in the day.

It was a beautiful day being with family.

xo
ro

Update: Mom's apple turnover was VERY good. Hmmmmmm. I say visit both pie bakeries!


5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Nice shots! A foodie's paradize!

Cheers,

Rosa

Snap said...

Traveling with Ro ... always makes me hungry!!!!! :D

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. I've been debating flu shots. The one time I did get one, it made me ill, and my sister in law is allergic to them. It's a hard decision in some ways, but I know that it's important to stay healthy when we are around our aging loved ones.

It looks like you've had a wonderful California trip! I'm so glad.

xo

Lena

Unknown said...

It looks so beautiful there! And the Apple goodes sound heavenly. Yum! I sure hope your feeling better. I am suppose to get that flu shot thursday,,but usually it just makes my arm sore. Hoping that is all it does this time!
xoxoxoxoxo

Jeanie said...

Yikes! Well, first of all, so sorry you are sick -- that sounds dreadful. Hope by now you are much improved. Second, those pies look to die for! Welcome home!

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa