Friday, December 05, 2008

Music and More

I'm feeling better today even after being awaken at 3 a.m. by the neighbor calling about the dog barking. Oy. Poor mom doesn't know if it's day or night these days. And, I don't believe she understands what I say to her anymore. She lets Frankie out at ungodly hours and of course he starts barking. Last night, I took NyQuil and didn't hear him barking and thus the phone call. Poor neighbors. There's nothing worse than being awoken from a sound sleep for any reason, but a dog barking has to be the worse. Lordy. I called and apologized this morning and explained the situation and they were very understanding, thank goodness. We're trying something new tonight to see if it works. Mom can't remember, at this point, how to unlock the deadbolt. So, if I go down before I go to bed and let Frankie out and back in, then latch the deadbolt, the hub will go down when he leaves for work in the morning and let the dog out. Let's hope this works. Keep your fingers crossed for me! Every day is a new day when you're dealing with dementia.

At any rate, here I am trying to catch up once more. Once my brother arrives, it's all about the music (and food, of course). As soon as he gets to the house, he brings out his cds and loads them into the player; and the music doesn't turn off until we go to sleep and begins as soon as the first person is awake the next morning. We attribute this behavior to my parents who were always avid music fans. My mom had her little transistor radio in the kitchen where it played all day. It was mostly on country music stations because they knew a lot of the DJs and singers of the day. And so, the tradition of music playing has been carried on by the kids.

We awoke Wednesday and Jim began telling me about some new bands he had been listening to. There's always someone new that one of us finds and shares with the other. He had made the batter for the best-ever waffles (made with yeast!) the night before. They are the Krispy Kremes of waffles. They just melt in your mouth. Yum. These were for the kids.

This was our breakfast! The hub, Jim and I decided to roll over to Dodson's for a good country breakfast while everyone else slept in.

(In actuality, this was on Friday morning--but who's checking?)

After everyone but Jim and I headed out on their own, we decided to go downtown and hit Grimey's, a local music store that we had missed during his visit this summer. When I went online to get the address, there in bold letters was a band he had just told me about! JJ Grey and Mofro. I had never even heard of them before and there they were, making an appearance at the store that afternoon and then playing at a small venue here on Friday. How weird is that? Well, when it comes to my brother and I, not too weird at all. These things happen to us all the time. I told him when we get together, the planets align and special things begin to happen! It's uncanny. We got to the store and asked about JJ and unfortunately, he had cancelled the appearance, but the show was still going on at the Exit/In on Friday. Both of us picked our cds (mine at the top) that we wanted and went on to our next adventure.

Leave it to us to do something crazy--again, planets aligned just right, I suppose. We wanted to go into this antique shop but the sign on the door said they would be back in 10 minutes. Jim checked the door and it opened, so we went on in. Little ol' Nashvul. The chime starting chiming and I looked at him after no one answered his hello's and said "it's the alarm!" Oh my. We high tailed it out of there and before making it a couple of steps, indeed the alarm did go off. Ooooof. We put a little speed in our steps until we made it to the next store and slid inside. We were cracking up! We stayed in there until the alarm finally did stop sounding, at least 15 minutes! I told him I hoped they didn't have a camera on the door--busted! But, when we returned, I looked around and there were no cameras. Phew! It was absolutely hilarious!

Needless to say, Jim decided he wanted to go to the show Friday night. No one else wanted to go so just the brother and I went. It was the best time ever!

The dressing room door.

The audience from the stage.

The opening band was Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue. They were excellent! The last song, they all switched instruments and played on. It was amazing and quite a feat.

After their show, the guys came back to where Jim and I were and I had to snap a pic of Jim and Shorty--who is not short at all! We do have our fun, don't we!

Then it was time for JJ and Mofro. You just can't beat live music. It was such a great show. I am a new fan, of course.

Now, I need to go back down to Grimeys and get me some JJ Grey cds. (I did pick up this poster at the show.)



This is one of my favorite songs he did from the new album Orange Blossoms. You can get it at Amazon if you're interested. It is sooooo good!

Fun times.

9 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Music is also very important at me place! You are lucky to have a brother. It seems like you had a great time together!

What a scrumptious breakfast! Yummy.

Cheers and have a wonderful weekend,

Rosa

Lena said...

This sounds like it was a great show. I'm glad that you all had a good time. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better too.

Take care, Rosemary.

Beth said...

OH,I Love JJ!!! I gotta have that one,,I think Dan would like it too. I bet that was a great show. I am glad I didn't see you on the news last week for trying to break into that store,,,lol. I am so glad your feeling better.
Now we got to pick our day out to have some Sangria and do some art.
xoxooxoxoxoxo

Mark McLellan said...

Rosa

Thanks for your comments. I am a lurker not a commenter but do drop by regularly :-)

Dementia: One reason we are spending as much time as we can with Mum and Dad is that we are aware of the passage of time. Spending time with them while we can. Dad is noticeably slower on the uptake but still good value. Mum won't travel (diverticulitis) so we make sure Dad gets his architectural fix regularly (his erstwhile profession) - hence the Amsterdam trip last year.

Live music: We are over for the N.O. French Quarter festval and the Jazz & Heritage festival 2009. Any chance of meeting up?

Regards

MarkMcL (aka Mr English).

Linda said...

Well, that sounds like it was fun. Nice you can have such a good time with your brother.

Carole Burant said...

Hello dear Rosa:-)

Sounds like you've been having such a fun time with Jim...how wonderful that you were both able to go see JJ and Mofro in concert!! Never heard of them but I sure did enjoy the video:-)

I was laughing while reading about setting off the alarm in that antique store...too funny! lol I can just picture it all! hehe

Hopefully your idea regarding letting the dog out before you go to bed and putting the deadbolt will work. I don't imagine you want to be waken up again by a call from your neighbours! lol xoxo

Dianne said...

This makes me so homesick for Nashville. So much going on and it revolves around music and food, two of my favorite things!

Queenly Things said...

You two have great instincts - when it comes to food, music and fun!! I'm off to listen to your new faves.

Jeanie said...

It sounds like a wonderful time. I'm glad you were all together.

Must be hard with mom -- everyday a new day. I liked that. Hang in there -- sounds like you have systems in place!

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa