Thursday, February 19, 2009

What's Cooking?

You'd think I haven't been cooking dinner because I haven't been posting about it. Well, I have of course. To prove it, I had been planning on making this stew since forever. One thing or another has kept me from doing so since it is a little timely . Thus the stew meat has been tucked away in the freezer. I finally pulled it out and defrosted it and started the stew on Tuesday.
I browned the meat.
Mad the roux.

Added the vino and chicken stock and cooked in the oven for an hour.

Then I let it cool, refrigerated and let it sit over night. Any type is stew is better the next day, ya know.
Yesterday, I warmed it up and added some more liquid, the potatoes, fresh peas and carrots and then cooked it in the oven for another hour. Yummy. (Recipe HERE.) It's sooooo good for a chilly night. Or a warm night. Gotta love those one-pot meals any day of the week, winter or summer.

My red potatoes were already sprouting by the time I finally did get around to making this dish. Look how sweet. A good sign that spring is around the corner. If mom were still alert, she would have saved them all to plant on Good Friday. She always had a little garden growing each summer when she lived back home. I miss that.
And speaking of momma, Monday, February 16 was her 85th birthday. Since we were just getting home, we decided to postpone it until this weekend so we can enjoy the time together. I've decided that since I'm dieting, I'm going to buy cupcakes that she can keep downstairs so I won't have to look at a big ol' tempting, delicious, sweet and scrumptious cake everyday until it's eaten by the hub and kid. I think everyone (but me--pout) will enjoy the cupcakes.

Still catching up here. I have prizes to send, sewing projects to start and finish and just lots of paperwork sitting on my kitchen table waiting for me. Fun fun fun.

I've been enjoying Paul McCartney's new Fireman Radio on Serius XM. It's a nice change. And, he's still cute.

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Happy belated birthday to your mom! That stew looks delicious! Comforting!

Cheers,

Rosa

Jeanie said...

Happy belated, Rosie-mum! The stew looks great -- and I love that cooking lady! I've got that one too and I use her a lot!

Janet said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! I'm sure the cupcakes will be enjoyed. As for the beef stew, HB likes a good stew and I let him make it! I figure if I don't eat meat I shouldn't have to cook it!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

The stew looks wonderful, Rosa. I'll be there for dinner!!!!! ha ha

Happy Belated Birthday to your Mom..

Hope you have a great evening.
Hugs,
Betsy

Snap said...

Happy, Happy to your Mom. I think cupcakes are perfect. That's what we do and it keeps us from overdosing on a extra large piece of cake! Your stew look delicious and reminds of the stew meat I have in the freezer. Guess I know what we'll have over the weekend!

Dianne said...

He is still cute!

I started putting a can of beer in my stew and it gives it a nice flavor.

I'm still on my diet but off Jenny Craig. Just needed something to jump start me. I've lost 11 lbs so far. Think I'll go for 10 more. Good luck with yours. It's difficult.

Queenly Things said...

I'm glad to know you're still cooking. You make everything look delicious.
I made a whole big cheesecake for my mom's b-day, her choice. Lucky for me I am not a cheesecake fan.

Categories

 

©Living as Rosa Designed by Rosa